Landlords in the county, like elsewhere, are now required by law to have an annual gas safety check carried out at all rental properties.

The check has to be carried out every 12 months by a Gas Safe Registered plumber under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998.

These checks need to cover the following ”all gas pipe work, appliances and flues, which you own and have provided for tenants use”.

The gas safety certificate may also be referred to as a landlord gas safety record or CP12 form.Extra Safety For Tenants and Carbon Monoxide AlarmsFor more information on Gas Safety information for landlords visit the Health and Safety Executive.

The Health And Safety Executive (HSE) strongly recommends the use of carbon monoxide alarms as a helpful precaution to give tenants advance warning of this potentially harmful gas in the property.

Please note that these alarms should not be seen as a replacement for regular maintenance and safety checks by a Gas Safe registered engineer but as an extra.

Special Note – The Law Has ChangedA new law came into being in January 2013.

This refers to boiler flues that are in voids with no inspection hatches.

The Gas Safe Register states that, inspection hatches will need to be fitted for boiler flues running in boxed-in voids or between floors and ceilings, and will need an inspection hatch within 1.5m (5ft) of any concealed joint in a flue system by 31st December 2012.

Call Assett Plumbing in 0800 772 3174 for advice and service.